Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Light Always Stays On

There is a song that reminds me of something that I need to know.  

You Never Let Go

It tells me that God never lets go of me.  God is there through all of life.  There is never a shutdown by God.  There is nothing in life that I need to fear facing alone.  Do you know the power of that presence?

When I was little boy, I went deer hunting with a friend of the family.  It was the first time I had ever been in a deer stand.  I was told to sit there and if I heard anything, just whistle.  It was dark and cold.  It wasn't long until I felt every much alone in the dark.  I was afraid.  I did not care about when or if I killed a deer.  I just wanted to have some flesh near me.  So I whistled.  And the friend came to my rescue.  He came and sat with me on the stand.

In this world, there are so many people who know the darkness that I experienced.  Life around them has become dark and frightening.  There is a feeling of isolation.  There is a feeling of despair. The coldness of the world has overcome them.  

Sometimes we shut down the ability of God and God's people to reach us.  Yes we can do that!  God has given us the ability to turn off the light in our world.  God continues to try to influence this decision but ultimately the decision is ours.  

The light of Christ is always shining.  Far before Tom Bodean started telling us that the light would always be on, God had mastered the art of leaving the light on for us.  

Are you afraid?  Are you lonely?  Are you overcome with despair?  

Look for the light that is always on--the grace of Jesus Christ.  Hold the light for friends, neighbors, and strangers who are struggling.  Or better yet, just tell them when they need some flesh to be near--just whistle!!

Pray for me as I pray for you.

In the Master's Name,

Dr. M. Jack O'Dell

www.midweekmanna.com
www.stlukesimpson.org

No comments:

Post a Comment