Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Who Ya Pullin' For?

The preacher gave a preview of the sermon using the following words,  "Chronos versus Kairos".  Reed is a little boy who loves sports  He is all about competition.  So he was sitting next to his granddad when he heard those words.   With a twinkle in his eye he asked his granddad, "Which one ya gonna pull for?"  

Maybe that is what worship needs to capture the world's attention.  The preacher could announce, "Today the choir will take on the ushers!"  Or maybe we could have a seventh inning stretch and everyone could stand up and sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" while serving hot dogs.   No wait!  Let's have an instant replay showing all those nodding off during the service.  We could put them on a jumbo screen or post the sleeping on Facebook.  Maybe we need a halftime performance.  

So who ya gonna pull for in worship?  

I must admit that I do not believe that worship has to be dull or boring.  At one point in my ministry, I visited many churches on Sundays.  Many of them I would leave wondering why anyone would go back week after week for that.  The music was not uplifting.  Nor was it done well.  Some churches were not even clean.  The sermon was obviously a Saturday night special.  I checked out.  

Who ya gonna pull for in worship?

Then there have been some worship services that I did not want to end.  In fact they did not end.  They followed me all through the week.  I was inspired.  People were friendly . The message was new and relevant.  The music was well rehearsed and well presented.  I left the service as one of God's chosen.  I was ready to go out into the world and proclaim what I had experienced.  This church was growing.  People were inviting friends to Christ and to the church.

"Chronos" worship services are marked by time.  Is it time to go?  PLEASE tell me it is time to go.  "Kairos" worship services are marked by meaning.  In fact, they mark folks who wander into them.  They change the individuals who then change the world with the love of Jesus Christ.

Reed, I am pulling for "Kairos!"   


No comments:

Post a Comment