Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Go Against The Waves

I am not a fisherman.  If I happen to catch a fish, I consider it a miracle.

My son in law loves to fish.  It so happens one of my neighbors loves to fish as well.  So when I knew my son in law was coming, I asked my neighbor if he would take us fishing.  With a little drool coming out of his mouth, he reluctantly said he would.

Fishing in the gulf is different than going down the river or on the lake.  The biggest difference is getting to the fishing hole.  It was a calm day and the ride down the river towards the gulf was beautiful.  The sun was coming up.  The birds were flying.  We stopped and threw the net to get bait.  

Throwing the net reminded me of what it might have been like when Jesus and his disciples were out on the sea of Galilee.  In my mind I could hear Jesus say, "Cast your nets...."

However in the Gulf things were quite different.  The waves were beating against the boat. The boat would come completely out of the water and land on the water.   I was holding on for dear life.  I figured should I fall out of the boat for some reason, I was dead!   I did not suffer from sea sickness.  But I had never experienced going against the waves like we did.

There are journeys in life when we go against the waves.  Times when we know that the stand must be made.  Someone has been neglected.  Something has been done that is so offensive or contrary to the standards of humanity.  The line is drawn in the sand.  When this happens, you can expect great resistance.  There is a fear of the consequences.  But you just hold on and keep going forward.

There was a time when some of the followers of Jesus found his teachings too demanding and too harsh.  They turned away.  Naturally Jesus turned to his disciples and asked them,  "Will you too go away."  The disciples had cast their lot.  "There is no other but you....."  You know your commitment as a disciple when things become more difficult.

When we arrived, the fishing was fun. And I even caught a few fish.  I did not hurt anyone in the boat.  I fell only once!  And my neighbor invited me to go again.  

Next time, I am ready for the waves as we head out!

No comments:

Post a Comment