Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Think About Good Things!

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.  Philippians 4:8

Your mama taught you better.  

A father wound up in court with his son.  It was small thing.  The son looked around and noticed things though.  There were people who were bruised and scarred. There were people in chains--not jewelry but shackles.  The general appearance of many people was just not good.  It was obvious that a few of the people in the room were not in good shape at all due to their addictive life style.

The father noticed his son looking around.  And then he said, "Son, if you continue to do the things you are doing, this will be your world."

Your mama taught you better.

"If you slop with the pigs in the pig sty, don't be surprised to find mud on your face."  

I have to admit that I have no interest in the current rant about the new dance.  I would know a twerk from a twinkle.   I am sure if I were to twerk it would not be a pretty sight.  I do understand the concept of dancing although my family says I should do it rarely in public.  

What does concern me is the attention that our world gives to bad behavior.   We keep falling for the same old trap--any publicity is good for some---in their minds.  So there has to be some outrageous action by whomever to be recognized.

There was a day in my life that my bad behavior was recognized.  Boy was it recognized!  It was recognized by the authorities in my life.  That recognition convinced me quickly that I wanted to change my behavior.  The consequences were not good at all.  

What would our world be like if we changed the focus?  What would it be like if when that appeared on our media screen, there was a huge number of people who just changed the channel?  What would it be like if we refused to invest our time or money in such antics?

What would it be like if we focused on whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy?  Some argue that it will never sell.  But maybe there are some things that ought not be for sale.  Say, maybe our soul?

What is your focus today? 

Pray for me as I pray for you.

In the Master's Name,

Dr. M. Jack O'Dell

www.stlukesimpson.org
www.thewellumc.com


No comments:

Post a Comment