Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Remember to Remember

In the celebration of the Passover, the people of God are told to remember.  When Jesus of Nazareth celebrated the Last Supper, he told his disciples to remember and to do this often.  During this holiday season, we remember the costs and benefits of freedom.  What is in your memory?

As I have packed and unpacked boxes in our move, I would remember.  There was the small package wrapped that held nothing but good words that Miss Nell gave to me.  She knew there would days that I would need to stop and smile.

There were the letters that I had long stored away that different people had written to me.  The letter from a family that I had grieved with.  The note from a mom whose daughter had run away and returned home.  The little things that I kept to remind me of the joy that my family has given me through the years.  I would stop and laugh.  I would stop and cry.  I would remember.

Sometimes I have to remember to forget!  Sounds strange, but think about it.  All of us humans hold on to the wrong things sometimes.  It is the cup of bitterness and anger that we drink from.  Words that harmed us.   Actions that someone took that really hurt us.  Or maybe it is something we did and said that we cannot get our of our mind.

Computer geeks tell me that the computer has an active and an inactive memory.  Both of them are necessary for the computer to work well.   The geeks know how to get to the inactive memory when necessary. Sometimes the crash of a computer is due to the inactive memory conflicting.  It is true in life.

All of this is to remind you and me to remember.  Remember the costs and benefits of the good things in life. Let go of those things which weigh you down.  Remember that you are forgiven, so forgive.  Remember that you are loved, so love.  Remember that you are free so free others.  

Memory is a wonderful gift that God gives us....now what was I saying?

Pray for me as I pray for you.

In the Master's Name,

Dr. M. Jack O'Dell
Lead Pastor
St. Luke Simpson UMC, Lake Charles LA
www.midweekmanna.com
www.stlukesimpson.org

No comments:

Post a Comment