Thursday, July 18, 2013

Removing the Insulation


In our tradition like most churches, we have groups of great influence and power.  It does not take long to find them.  They usually find you especially when you cross a line.  You know you move something that has never been moved.  You change something and are quickly told, “It has ALWAYS been ….”  I have maintained that the most powerful person in a worship service is the organist.  Just imagine what havoc this person can play in one hour!
So I am hanging out with one of the groups of great influence and power—the UMW.  For those who are not Methodist, it is not the United Mine Workers.  It is the United Methodist Women.  If you want to meet and greet power and influence in most congregations, just stroll into the women’s den.  I once heard of a pastor who had the choice of confronting the women on an issue or having two root canals.  The root canals were a piece of cake. 
This week we are learning together.  They are being nice to me!  We are learning about a group of people in Europe called “The Roma”.  Maybe you know another name for this group of people—gypsies.  The study is inviting us to learn about the uniqueness and struggles.  I must admit that I have learned much.
I have learned that I live a pretty insulated life.  Most church folks do.  Most of us in this world pretty much insulate ourselves.  We tend to keep the “edgy” folks pretty far away.  It is a safety and comfort mechanism in life.  After all “they” might harm us or challenge our world views.
I feel a sense of shame about this when I look at the life of Jesus.  Jesus was all about hanging out with people on the edges of life.  Jesus was all about going to find where people were hurting.  Jesus was condemned by the religious folk for hanging out with sinners and tax collectors.  Maybe I am afraid that if I am seen in the wrong place with the wrong people, I might be condemned as well.
So I am listening to God in these moments about removing some of the insulation from my life.  I realize that in removing insulation, I am going to be vulnerable to the elements.  But I need to remember that in my vulnerability, I am safe forever.  Jesus has done that for me.  I do not need to be afraid.  I just need to go!
I can just hear the talk beginning….”that preacher….”
Pray for me as I pray for you.
Jack O’Dell

No comments:

Post a Comment