Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pour Some Cold Water!

The guy from Best Buy is still laughing. I am sure.

There are times when one should know to duck or get out of the way. My wife, Mandy, says I have an incredible ability to stand in the kitchen in the one place she needs to access. 

In the new house, we had to have some appliances delivered.  A part of the delivery system is to set them up as well.  The importance of this part of the process is to know that I am lethal with tools.  Remember?  My dad protected himself from me as I was growing up.  Anytime there were tools to be used, I was told to go read a book.  How Mandy wishes many days her husband was not a romantic but a fix it kind of guy.  Oh well, you can't have both!
 
The refrigerator has an ice maker.  I do not think they make refrigerators without them now.  There was a water line that ran to the kitchen sink.  At both ends of the water line there were shut off valves.  (You can see what is going to happen, huh?)  The guy from Best Buy thought that a shut off valve on each end was quite redundant.  His advice was to take the one nearest the refrigerator off.
 
He instructed Mandy, who was over by the kitchen sink (where she lives!) to turn the valve that cut off the water supply to the ice maker.  Mandy crawled under the sink and turned off something.  The Best Buy guy then used his tool to undo the cut off valve near the refrigerator. 
 
United Methodists do not baptize more than once.  The belief is that when God washes you clean,  you are clean--FOREVER.  There may be a time when you need to reclaim  your vows, but never another time when you need a second wash.  In the ritual of reclaiming your baptism, water is slung upon you and the clergy says, "Remember Your Baptism!"
 
Too bad the Best Buy guy was not a clergy and knew nothing about slinging water.  He thoroughly drenched me with the waterline that was supposed to feed the ice maker.  Right in the face!  He could not have aimed it any better if he had tried. (Do you think he was trying?) 
 
I think my wife and the assistant Best Buy guy laughed the quickest, loudest, and loudest.  In fact they are still chuckling today.  The Best Buy guy who drenched me was concentrating on  catching the water that continued to pour and apologizing to me.  To be honest, I was amused too although I did keep my distance from him until he left.
 
There have been so many times when I have wanted to pour some cold water in some folks face to wake them up!  I wanted them to remember their baptism. I wanted them to be filled with passion about the faith again!  I want the children of God to act like children of God.  The faith has so much more to offer than we can imagine. 
 
Remember Your Baptism!  Touch the Water again!  If all else fails, call the Best Buy guy!  I know he is still laughing.
 
I promise I will never tell you about the installation of the clothes washer.....Some things just need not be told.
 
Pray for me as I pray for you
 
In the Master's Name,
 
Jack O'Dell
 
Lead Pastor
St. Luke Simpson UMC
Lake Charles, La
 

No comments:

Post a Comment