Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Tell The Stories of Moms!

Mother's day is Sunday.

This used to be the day when more collect calls were made than any other day of the year. Mothers would never refuse a call from a son or daughter.   You can never call your mother too many times.  Most mothers can tell you the last time they talked to each child.

It is the day when the restaurants are full.   Flowers are sent or placed on the grave. Church attendance is up at Mother's Day.  Isn't it strange that food and religion are mother topics.

Mother's Day is filled with wisdom.  Mothers are always full of knowledge.  I call them "mommilies"--those things you mother would always tell  you.  "Don't cross your eyes like that, your face may freeze!"  "Always wear clean underwear, you never know when you are going to have an accident."  "Do you think we live in a barn--close the door!"

For some, Mother's Day is a sad day.  It is a day of broken dreams.  Some mothers just did not have the ability to mother.  For some reason they did not give great care or love. If only a manual or directions came  with children!  Maybe it would be easier but I doubt it.   Most women dream of becoming a mother only to find that it is not possible.   One time I received an irate call from a young lady because the church made such a big deal about being a mother.  I listened to her and prayed for her.    I think she just wanted to know she was not alone.

There is great power in stories.  I would encourage you to share the stories of being a mother, becoming a mother, and yes, of your mother.  Youngsters need to hear them more often.  Youngsters need to know that there are great examples of those people we call mom!

Growing up in my house, I had to learn how to share mom.  There were cousins and others who came to live with us when life was overwhelming.  Mom opened her house and her heart to those who needed a place to heal.  Mom loved to open the table she prepared for anyone needing a bite of family.  I remember sitting down one holiday meal and there was a stranger sitting next to me.  I introduced myself and asked about their journey.  As I watched this friend (a stranger I haven't met yet!) join in the fellowship of the meal, I noticed how much attention mom gave this new family member.    You see once you have been at the table, you become family!

Happy Mother's Day!  May you treasure all the moments of motherhood--those you give and you receive!

Pray for me as I pray for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment