Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Belonging

There are some folks who are not current.

You have heard what it means to be current in prayer life.  But many are not current in their church membership.  Oh it does not matter.  I can hear that battle cry now.  Hold on a minute while I put my hip boots on.

Okay, now I can continue.

So let me get this straight.    Check out this list of questions to ponder.

Do you not update your programs on your computer?  When the latest version comes out to take care of bugs, you decline the offer.  As long as you are still running some version of the program it is okay?

Do you not reconcile or check your bank account?  As long as I show up every once in a while and make some deposit, there is nothing to sweat.  Forget that $2000 bank error that might be present.

Do you not keep up with your child(ren's) or grand kids progress in school or even their attendance?  They will do whatever they will do.  Oh year, I will plug in when needed but I am not going to intentionally do that much. 

You belong to no professional organizations to show your support for their good works or to influence your professional development.  These too are not just necessary to be effective in your employment.

You belong to no health club, no country club, no tennis club or anything that would require you to "sign up".   These just take up too much of your time and energy.

And your place in the kingdom of God, your witness to the world, and your calling to be in the Body of Christ holds lesser value than any of the above?  Christ has no hands but yours in the Body of Christ.  Belonging is the way we say a public "Yes!" to Christ and to those around us.  It is saying "You can count on me!"    

The Vardon Trophy is one of the most coveted prizes of the PGA.  In 1987 South African David Frost won over a half a million dollars and had the best scoring average on the PGA Tour yet did not win the coveted Vardon Trophy. Why not? Frost was not a member of the PGA!!

The faith is not about winning trophies.    However, there is an old hymn that we sing that has a wonderful line in it.    George Bennard was a Methodist evangelist.  He started out in the Salvation Army (which many do not realize is a denomination).  Bernnard left that organization to become a Methodist.  During a revival meeting in 1912, he was ridiculed by some for his faith.  In response to this ridicule he wrote the old hymn we sing, "The Old Rugged Cross".    The chorus says, "So I'll cherish the old rugged cross, til my trophies at last I lay down...."   

I am convinced that the gospel calls us to be as current in our church membership as we are in any other area of our life.  In fact, the gospel calls us to make that one of our first priorities.

Are you current?

Pray for me as I pray for you.

In the Master's Name,

Dr. M. Jack O'Dell

www.midweekmanna.com
www.stlukesimpson.org

No comments:

Post a Comment