Wednesday, July 30, 2014

"All In"

As a child I would look for treasures.  I would create a map and then follow it to find the treasure buried there.    Sometimes I would create a map for someone else to follow.  There is something about treasures that capture our heart.  Some people go to yard sales or estate sales looking for hidden treasures.

Jesus told the crowds, not the disciples, parables about the kingdom of heaven.    He used the image of it being like a treasure that is found.   Once the treasure is found, the one who has found it goes and sells ALL that the land where the treasure was found might belong to him.  

Then Jesus goes even further.  He says the kingdom of God is like a great pearl.  Again the response of the one who finds it is to go and sell ALL that one might have the priceless pearl.

There is one other place where Jesus pulls the "all in" card.  The rich young man comes to him.  The young man is a good man. He has followed all the rules of faith.  But then Jesus places an expectation before him that he never expected.  "Sell ALL you have and give it to the poor!"  Nope, not gonna happen.  The young man went away saying, "You must think I am stupid!"    Ironically this is the only person that Jesus says this to.  

All in.   

Now some of us are thinking like the young man, "Don't you think that is a little much to ask Jesus?"

Jesus looks directly into our eyes and says it again,  "All in".  

What would you life look like if you went "all in" with Jesus?  How would your day be different?  What difference would there be in your family?  your church?

"All in" doesn't mean that you become a monk, a religious fanatic, or even quit your job?  It means that the center of your life is now Jesus.  Everything--and I mean everything--revolves around your relationship with Jesus.  

A young man finally surrendered his life to Christ and took seriously his relationship with the church.  After a while, he share with a friend these words, "This is what I have been looking for all of my life--this happiness, this acceptance, this order.  I never know that going "all in" would be all that I needed.  And now I know.  And everyday I begin my day with these words---Today I am 'all in' with you Jesus!"

What about you?  Are you willing to be "all in"?

Pray for me as I pray for you.

In the Master's Name,
Dr. M. Jack O'Dell

www.midweekmanna.com
www.stlukesimpson.org

No comments:

Post a Comment