Thursday, May 15, 2014

Manna--Love Can Outweigh Sin!



As  a little boy I learned a song.  Maybe you did too!
“O be careful little mouth what you say!  O be careful little mouth what you say!
For the Father up above is looking down in love
O be careful little mouth what you say!”

There were others verses about what you see and what you do! 

In the news, there has been much about hearing other’s conversations.  The news media loves to play this game.  The ability to “catch” someone is rampant in our world.  We are constantly under the watch of cell phones and cameras.  It used to be easier to deny.  It was their word against mine.  Now it is replay.  The denial becomes “I did not mean what I said.”  Or “rutrow!” (Shaggy Do talk for “Ut oh!”)

But do you notice what the song says?  God is looking down in love.  God is NOT the critical parent waiting to pounce on you.  God is not waiting to replay what you say to shame you.  I would suggest that God works out of a different emotion---love.

There are some that want you to believe that God’s love is conditional.  God loves you when you are a good boy or good girl.  You have to clean up your life to be loved.  God is up there writing down all your sins so that they can be held against you.  God is waiting to show you!

Jesus told a wonderful story about God’s love. God is the waiting father wanting the son to return.  The son meets the father with words of shame and regret. The father does not even spend time listening.  The father overwhelms the son with love.

When someone loves you so much you will not want to disappoint them or harm them.  This becomes the motive for our actions and behavior.  I would never want to hurt those who love me.  The pleasure that I would gain by sin is outweighed by the love that I receive.

When you are tempted, remember how much you are loved.

Pray for me as I pray for you.

In the Master’s Name,

Rev. Dr. Jack O’Dell

No comments:

Post a Comment