Thursday, May 1, 2014

Being There Changes Your Life

The other day a person was describing their understanding of what it was like to be in New Orleans during Katrina.  I listened to what she imagined it was like.  She had painted quite a picture in her mind and was sharing it vividly.  She finished with the statement, "Can you imagine?"  My response to her was, "No!  I do not have to imagine. I was there!"

I have lived a very privileged life where I have been able to see much of the world.  Reading about it gives one perspective.  Seeing it gives another!  Sometimes seeing it changes our whole perspective.  Sometimes seeing it enables us to have more clarity.

I think this is the experience of Thomas.  I do not think he did not want to see Jesus alive  He wanted to experience Jesus being alive!  The experience of touching and seeing Jesus alive gave him great clarity about what God is doing in life.  It was this clarity in life that led Thomas to India as a missionary.  Tradition tells us that he baptized Christians there.  

The gospel writer after telling the story of Thomas proclaims that Jesus did many other things that are not written in the Gospels.  The purpose of the writing was to help you believe that Jesus Christ is Lord!  Begin with believing and then see where that leads you! Once you believe you begin to see as you have never seen before.

It has been quite a while. But when I visited the Holy Land, my whole faith experience was reshaped.  There was greater clarity about Biblical stories.  I wished that I had gone immediately after seminary.  I think it is great that in our Conference after one is ordained, the Annual Conference sends you to the Holy Land.

Mandy and I are going to lead a group to the Holy Land in January 2015.  It will be a ten day trip leaving on January 27th.  If you would like to join us, let me know.  I will be glad to send you information.  I am looking forward to making this journey again with family and friends.  My brother, Larry and his wife, Judy will also be going!

Even if you do not get the opportunity to go to the Holy Land, begin to see Jesus anew.  Be present with the Risen Lord!  It will change you life!

Pray for me as I pray for you.

In the Master's Name,


Dr. M. Jack O'Dell
www.midweekmanna.com
www.stlukesimpson.org

No comments:

Post a Comment