Wednesday, April 3, 2013

God Directs Our Journey


Recently I drove on the autobahn in Europe for the first time. For those who may not know about these roads, there are many places where there is no speed limit. You are free to go as fast as you want. I was amazed at how orderly life could be with speed.
To be honest, it was a bit fearful at first. You would see this car coming up so fast and wonder not if the car would run into you, but if you would survive when the car ran into you. There was this need to get out of the way! Eventually though, you begin to get into the pace of the driving. You learn how to time your passing in order to keep your speed but not impair others.
The other thing that makes the autobahn work is that that trucks must stay in the right hand lane. Trucks passing each other or anyone are an exception. You would pass lines of trucks following each other but all in the right hand lane. Immediately I thought of how repulsive this would be to the trucking industry of our culture. This would never have a chance to fly in our world.
There are places where the speed limits are enforced. The cameras are these to take your picture if you do not slow down. There are also a few policemen around but not many. I am still waiting to see if a ticket will arrive at my doorstep. Although I am told the tickets are not expensive if you get one.
The other thing I learned about driving in Europe is that you need a GPS device. If you ask for a map, they will laugh at you. You enter your destination into the GPS. Then the GPS device will tell you where to turn. It warns you when you are getting close to a turn. If you make a wrong turn, you hear those wonderful words, "recalculating" and it tells you how to correct your route. You have to trust the GPS in its directions.  I am sure that one day there will be a GPS that after "recalculating" too many times will say, "Is there anyone else in this vehicle that can drive?"
As I was traveling, I wondered if the autobahn could teach me about a willingness to orient myself to God's kingdom. After all, the faith is but a journey. Are there places where God invites me to go as fast as my comfort level will allow me? Are there places where God slows me down? And what if I were to listen to God's Placement System (GPS) would my journey be clearer? Do I really trust the directions God gives to me on my journey?
I think that Jesus had a unique ability to listen and look for God's directions in his journey. There were times in his life where he seemed to go in a direct fashion. Then at other times, it seems as if Jesus is on a slow pace. All in all, Jesus knew that his journey was not about him, it was about something bigger—the kingdom of God!
I must admit that on the journey we saw so many wonderful sights. The experience was a great experience. And when I came home, I had to remind myself, there are no autobahns in the USA!
Pray for me as I pray for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment