Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Life is Too Short!

For those whose spiritual life is not at its highest point, I need to give you information you probably are not privy to have. The 112th U.S. Open Championship Tournament was held this past week. Webb Simpson won it.

Golf is a spiritual game. I can play a round of golf with someone and learn a lot about their spiritual life. For some playing with a clergy is a challenge. When I have met some folks on the golf course, when asked what I do for a living, I have answered, "I'll tell you after we putt out on 18!" I do not want to spoil their round!

For many years, my brother, Larry and I would play in some golf tournaments. We would take a Sunday off and play during the weekend. We enjoyed tournament competition—most of the time. One tournament we were paired with two Baptist deacons. The first nine was one of those rounds where there was not much talk. They were played great golf. They were also speaking in tongues and consuming lots of beer. We were not playing well at all. As we made our way to the 10th tee, one of their buddies ruined their day. "How are ya'll making out playing with the two preachers?" All of a sudden they were trying to remember what they had said and done. They began to apologize for everything. They shot a 50 on the back nine! We were amused.

I remember playing with two guys where I learned the B and J rules of golf. These were two church members who had played together for years. They invited me to play a round with them. Usually golf is ruled by the United States Golf Association rules. Each person is responsible for enforcing these rules for themselves. However a person playing with you also enforces the rules to protect the field of competition.

The B and J rules were quite different. First of all you had to walk. How could you carry on a conversation riding? A pull cart was permissible even encouraged. If you hit a hazard, you had the option of hitting another ball or just lifting from the hazard with no penalty. If you needed to move your ball or tee it up to hit it, no problem. Once you began putting on the green, you continued until you finished. You never had more than two putts per hole. The maximum number of strokes per hole was two over par. Your efforts were recognized in deduction of swings taken on the hole. If you found a golf ball, you gave it to your playing partner. Two whiffs equaled a free "throw" of the golf ball. It causes less damage than throwing the club. Laughter during, after, and before the shots was encouraged. Any snacks harbored in your bag for the round had to be shared with everyone.

I have never laughed so much during a round of golf as I did with these two guys. They enjoyed each other's company. They enjoyed their round of golf. As we were loading our clubs back in the car, I asked them how they came up with the B and J rules of golf. B looked at me and said, "The days and the courses became too long!" Without a moment's pause, J continued, "and life is too short!"

I think Jesus spent time with the disciples laughing and loving. Maybe it was the time at Lazarus' house. Maybe it was on the journey around the Galilee. Good friends make it a habit to laugh a lot and love even more.

Life is too short to not laugh and love. I think somewhere in the heavens these two guys are still playing golf.

Pray for me as I pray for you.

1 comment: