Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Fathers Can Inspire

Sunday is Father's Day. It is not as grand and glorious as Mother's day. I think it is because that in the actual birth process, dads are pretty much spectators. So there is not as much a sense of indebtedness. Mothers remind children of the pain of childbirth.

What are your memories of dad?

As a little boy I remember my dad playing all kinds of sports. Secretly I think he wanted one of his sons to be a professional sports star. However, it just wasn't there. He would spend hours with us playing baseball, golf, or football. On Saturdays before there was organized football for elementary kids, my dad was organizing it. We didn't have uniforms or practices. We showed up in our rag tag football stuff and played. When we played golf, the round never started until Dad made his first par. Until then it was just warming up. He wanted to at least start the round even par. Nobody in Minden started on number one at the golf course so it did not matter.

I remember the first plane ride. Dad got tickets to the Dallas Cowboys football game. We flew from Shreveport, caught a bus and went to the game. Then the next day we flew home. My dad ran a radio station so he could get press passes for opening days. I was at opening day for Six Flags, Astroworld, the Astrodome (Yankees versus Houston Colts), the Superdome, and Disney World. I lived a theme park life.

Dad was a leader in the church. He was the one who traveled with the youth group whenever and wherever. The church was the source of friends and fellowship. And God be with you if you misbehaved at the church!

But the greatest gift that Dad gave to me was a sense of security. My world was safe. I was encouraged to adventure (within limits) I was given boundaries to test knowing that my place at home was not at risk. When I did well, he was my greatest cheerleader. When I failed, he was there.

My dad is now blind and 86 years old. The last ten years has changed dramatically for him. He can no longer do the things he did with such great ease. It is frustrating for him in many ways. Sometimes he wonders aloud to me as to why he is still around. I know the answer. He is around for those who need his presence. The presence of a father makes all the difference in the world.

My prayer is that when I am in the last years of my life, my sons and daughters will have memories of their dad that inspire them as much as my dad has inspired me.

This Father's day, celebrate the presence. It may be in the memory. It may be at hand. Know that God is present for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment