Wednesday, November 23, 2011

When I Was Hungry....

We can make all kinds of excuses but it does not sit well with God.
Harry Chapin was one of my favorite song writers. I still enjoy listening and playing his music that tells stories. Perhaps you have heard of a few of his songs, Cats in the Cradle or Taxi. He died an untimely death in an auto accident in New York City. Towards the end of his life, Chapin became an advocate for hunger. He was one of the first songwriter/performers to do so. Chapin would end his concert encouraging people to do all they could year round for those who were hungry.
The truth is that we live in a country where there is an abundance of food available. And yet, in 2010, 17.2 million households or one in seven household were classified as food insecure. This means that normal eating patterns and food intake were reduced significantly due to economic factors. This was the highest number ever recorded in the history of the United States. Now I can hear some of you whose heart has been hardened giving good reasons why it is just the fault of those who do not work or do not use their resources wisely. We like the illusion that life can be easy if one will only work and spend wisely. For some, this is simply not true. Besides that, none of this line of thought soothes the aching belly of a child without food.
I am the first to admit that I do not have the answers. But then my inability to answer the problem does not change the fact that Jesus of Nazareth continues to call this to our attention. In the Gospel of Matthew, " when I was hungry, you gave me food..." In several gospels, when he saw the crowds hungry, he fed them. It seems to me that I ought to be concerned about the same things Jesus showed concern about.
It is too easy to just turn away.
In 1990, the Soviet Union had pulled all of its resources from the island of Cuba. Cuban were doing without basic necessities. I led a group of United Methodist pastors to the island to begin working with the Methodist churches on the island. We stayed in the heart of Havana in the Methodist Center. Each evening, a meal was provided for us as guests. The Cubans would not eat with us however. They would eat just before us and then serve us. One evening a little Cuban boy was being held by his mother as we were being served. As the chicken was served, the little boy cried out, "Pollo! Pollo!" The mother quickly held the little boy's arm and asked him to be quiet. Then I realized what I had never realized before--our plates were always filled with meat. The Cuban host and hostess plates never had meat.
It changed my eating habits for the rest of the time I was there. I found a way to share my meat with the children without embarrassing the host. You see, they were going without so that their guests could have meat.
So what can we do? Support the local food banks. Donate food, money, time to help the ministry. If you know of a family that is struggling, go the store that offers buy one get one free and give the one you get for free to that family! Invite those who are struggling to eat with you. Get some gift certificates and have them handy to share with those you might meet.
And the only reason I can give you for doing this comes from a Nazarene preacher man who told a story--"when I was hungry, you fed me".

No comments:

Post a Comment