Wednesday, May 11, 2011

God is a Loving God

I think God must get tired of being blamed.

Okay I know that God does not tire. Nor does God sleep nor slumber. But many times in life, when storms happen (natural or otherwise) God is the one who is blamed.


I have already heard it. Some preacher from nowhere needs to get a headline or two. So the preacher has proclaimed that the flood of the Mighty Mississippi is a punishment from God. It is a sign of the end times. I can hear a chuckle from heaven. God must say, "if they only knew..."


Life happens. Nature takes its course due to the progression of the universe--made by humans and otherwise. Mistakes as well as good choices give birth to consequences. The one thing you can depend on in all of this is God's love. God looks upon us with God's loving heart. During the tragedies of nature, God certainly suffers with humanity.


I think most of the misconceptions of God are the result of bad parenting. Remember when you were a kid, you were warned. It is the image of God that is more like a year round Santa Claus looking for the naughty and nice. When parents could not get the job done, they threatened kids with the divine. I have even had parents tell their kids, "Don't do this, the preacher....." Where I have stopped them in mid sentence and told them I was not God's arm of condemnation.


You see, I believe that love is stronger than fear. Love trumps hatred and bitterness. Love sits with you when there are no words. Love sees you through the storm and flood waters. I am always reminding myself during the "tough times" that whatever tomorrow holds God is there working for goodness. That is what love does.


So during the flood and anxious moments, let the love of God abide and give you peace. God loves you!

No comments:

Post a Comment