Monday, May 30, 2011

Finish The Race!

I am not a race car fan but I could not resist this one!


Last Sunday the Indy 500 was run. It was the 100th anniversary of this great race. JR Hildebrand was on his way to victory. All he had to do was to make one last turn and he was the winner. He didn't make it. Some say he missed it by about a foot. But that miscalculation sent his car into the wall where he crashed. He lost control of his car and found himself skidding over the finish line 2.1 seconds behind Dan Wheldon. What seemed to be an apparent win slipped from his hands in a matter of seconds.


A good start is not enough.

Many folks began to walk with Jesus. But then they began to leave. His teachings were too hard. Jesus expected too much. At one point in his ministry, Jesus turned to his twelve disciples and asked them, "Are you going to leave as well?"


Think about the false starts in our lives.


We begin a diet and exercise program. Some even make it past the first month. Only a few succeed and continue the program. Or how many folks start to attend college. Then they quit. Some have mastered the art of starting jobs only to keep them for only a short while.


Then there are some who have victory in their hands only to see it slip aways. Jean Van de Velde had one hole left to play in the 1989 British Open. He lost the tournament on the last hole. Lindsey Jacobellis while hot dogging wiped out to lose the gold medal in the 2006 Winter Olympics. They both failed to finish.


The faith has the same demands. Jesus used the example of building a house when talking to his disciples. "Who does not count the cost before beginning to build...." To be faithful disciples, we are to finish the race that is put before us.


At the end of my life, I hope that I have used up all the talents and energy God has given to me. I hope that I have nothing left in reserve. I want to finish the race God has put in front of me with nothing held back.


Then and only then, God will meet me and say, "Well done thy good and faithful servant....."


No comments:

Post a Comment