Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Is it Well with Your Soul?

There is an old hymn, It is Well With My Soul that speaks of how during the tough times of life there is a sense of peace in our lives. Not many of us would admit to such peace. We let the hard times wear us down. I think it is because we have not mastered the art of exercising our soul.

There is currently among the women of my congregation a fascination with one of the new exercise craze. I am glad that something has motivated them to exercise more. It has helped them physically and well as emotionally. Perhaps you have found yourself joining in the newest game in town when it comes to exercise. From the Wii to the health clubs, to the tread mill--which many have found makes a good clothes rack.
The exercise of the soul involves giving ourselves to the spiritual disciplines of the faith. It is worship, Bible study, prayer, fasting--just to name a few. The exercise of the soul also requires us to be intentional about our witness. We put away lying, gossip, worry, and replace it with the reality of living each day devotionally.
Notice this is in contrast to the popular notion that Spirit of God just zaps you into shape at a particular time or place and you are done. John Wesley, the founder of the Wesleyan movement, liked to say that we are "becoming saved" or that we are "working out our salvation". By no means did he mean a salvation of works. On the contrary he sees this as the response to what God has already done through Jesus of Nazareth.
The rainy weather has caused me to walk more on the treadmill than I want. The treadmill to me is a walk leading to nowhere. However, as I walk my two miles each day, I realize that I am exercising my body. I have learned that the discipline of this exercise has great benefits.
Exercising the soul prepares us for living. It opens our eyes to see what God sees in our everyday world. This exercise exposes the pockets of sin that reside within us that God wishes to remove.
Maybe it is time to exercise--both the body and the soul. Then you can sing "It is Well With My Soul".....

No comments:

Post a Comment