Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Say my Name!

I not only believe in intercessory prayer, I practice it as much as I can!

Sometimes we just need someone to stand for us. I tell this to my congregation each week. I invite people to remember people in certain areas of life that need someone to stand before God and say their name. We call it standing in the gap.

There are gaps in our life--even in our spiritual life. It is the times when God seems to be "over there!" Or maybe it is times when life is overwhelming. Or we have forgotten to whom we belong.

In the biblical tradition, there is great power in names. When God appears to Abram, he becomes Abraham. When Moses is sent, he asks for God's name--"I Am". When Jacob wrestles at the River Jabbok, he is wounded, but is renamed, "Israel". When Joseph is warned in a dream of the birth of Jesus in a most unconventional way, Joseph is given the name that he is to call the baby, "Jesus".

God knows your name not just in a rational way but in a relational way. When God hears your name, God chooses to respond within your own individuality--your own life story. If you are a child who is lost, God hears your name looking for you. If God hears your name and you are hurting, God hears your name with healing grace. Your name makes a difference in God's world.
There is great power and possibility in saying a person's name before the Holy One. I was visiting with child of God who was searching in life. This person asked me if I really really believed that praying for one another mattered. "With all my heart and soul," was my answer. There was a silence. And then this wonderful child of God said, "When you pray today, be sure and say my name!" And I did. And I have. And I will continue to.
Today when you pray, say my name!! I need the prayers and YOU need the practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment