Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Belonging

The disciples gathered together in the Upper Room.

There is something about gathering that changes us. Most of us experienced scatteredness more than gatheredness. I think this is one of byproducts of our culture. Our ability to move so quickly has scattered us.

Then there are those things that we think we have to belong to and to do. There are some parents today that are so busy taking kids to this and that function that they do not have time to spend on the things that really give life. I think we really do our kids harm when we try let them go everywhere. They go but do not belong.
As a pastor of a new congregation, I am amazed at the resistance to belonging. Many people want to attend without belonging. It is as if belonging is a plague that will destroy your life. It is the search for benefits without cost.
We see this in our society more than we will admit. Living together without marriage. Someone else should pay taxes. Give me a diet that will help me lose weight without sweat and eating all I want. Making the grade without studying. You know the shortcuts that you tend to take or make in your life.
But here's the truth: We all desire to belong. We are made to belong. That is why our soul is always searching for the concept of home.
And then there is the greater truth: When we belong, I mean, really belong, life takes on new meaning. There is the feeling of acceptance and meaning like we have never felt before. We are empowered.
It is no accident that when the disciples gathered in the Upper Room, the Spirit of the Lord fell upon them. They were changed. They changed the world.
Feeling alone? Feeling as though life is a rat race and the rats are winning? Feeling the frustrations of parenthood, marriage, job, or depression? Find a place to belong! Find a church home and plug in. The power is there waiting for you. The grace will give you a new tomorrow. The love will change your life.
A woman recently joined my congregation and said, "I have found where I have belong. My life has changed!"

No comments:

Post a Comment