Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Your Christmas Shopping List

On my Christmas tree there is a little bag of black rocks. It was a gift from my brothers and sisters years ago. When I was young they would always tell me I would get a bag of rocks and sticks. It makes me chuckle to see them each year.

My kids are already asking me what I want to for Christmas. It is not something that kids are asked. It is something we all are asked. It is tough to buy some gifts while others are just there for the taking. Some of us make lists out with the specific store, color, and price. I know one preacher's wife that writes down the phone number so the item can be ordered. It keeps her from having to return gifts.

There are some gifts that we can give which are lasting. They always fit and never have to be returned. May I suggest some for your Christmas list?

Kindness. During this season of rush and congestion, kindness goes a long way. It is a smile that is given during the tense moments of the day. It is saying those magic words, "please" and "thank you". Kindness is a gentleness that the world longs for. When I think of the character of Christ, I envision him as always just being a kind person.

Time. The most precious asset in our life is time. It is a shame that we do not use our time well. Most of us do not seem to have enough of it. Some of us have learned that there is always time for certain things in life. Wanna really make someone's day? Take the time to show up at a nursing home or a retirement center with a checkerboard. Go to the school and read a Christmas story. Stop by the waiting rooms at the local hospitals with cookies and water.

Forgive. Jesus is born to teach us the value of forgiveness in our relationship with God as well as our relationships on earth. Christmas is a great time to put aside differences and to let go of things that keep us apart. It is a great time to cease drinking from the river of bitterness and hatred. Be the one who makes the first movement towards reconciliation. Be the one who brings peace on earth!

I wonder how this season of Advent and Christmas could change our world if we put these on our shopping lists. Give the gifts that last!

Pray for me as I pray for you.

In the Master's Name,
Dr. M. Jack O'Dell

www.thewellumc.com
www.midweekmanna.com

No comments:

Post a Comment