Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A Song Changed Their Life

The shepherds were kind of like the gypsies of the day. They owned no land. They would wander from place to place with their sheep who ate everything in sight. If a better opportunity came along, they would simply sell all their sheep and leave. The shepherd's life was not one of great admiration. Not many young men or women would say, "When I grow up, I wanna be a shepherd!" We know nothing about their religion. For all we know, they were either devout in their faith or had no faith--take your pick.

I think God comes to us in our everyday life more than we want. There they were doing what shepherds do around the campfire. And then God chose them. Of all the people on the earth, God chose them.

Is it me or does it seem that God picks the most unusual people? Maybe it IS me that realizes how God chooses strange people. It is the strange people who are interrupted with God's messages. The angels came. I wonder if the shepherds had ever even heard of angels. They did that night.

And not only did they hear, but they obeyed. I guess they figured that if God had gone to all the trouble to find them, they might as well find God. The shepherds had not GPS that took them to the Christ child. They looked and looked until they found Mary and Joseph and the child. When they found them, they knew. Amazing how we just know God when we are in the presence of God. And they worshipped. I wonder how long it had been since they had worshipped God.

I also wonder what I would do if the angel's came and sang to me. Would I hear them? Would I recognize them? And would I be willing to interrupt my schedule, my life to find God? Would I search for God?

The Advent season is about finding God. The Advent season is about God coming into our life. The Advent season is about God coming into our world. And if you happen to be as unlikely as a shepherd, God will come to you! Be ready! Watch! Listen!

A man who was not particularly religious found himself in a worship service on Christmas Eve. As the service unfold, so did he. He felt God's love for not only the world but for him. As the words of the song were sung, "Christ the Savior is Born" he wept. His life was changed. God found him and he found God.

It can happen to you this year.

Pray for me as I pray for you.

In the Master's Name,
Dr. M. Jack O'Dell

www.thewellumc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment