Wednesday, August 12, 2015

In the Zone

As school starts, if you are driving you have to slow down.  You have to slow down when going through school zones.  You have to completely stop when the bus stops.  School buses frustrate most because of the frequent stops made.   Maybe there are some zones in our lives that we need to slow down as we go through them.

Slow down in the zone of criticism--words and thoughts.

We live in such a critical world.  Most have an opinion that they cannot wait to share.  It is easy to look from the outside and solve the problem.  Some believe it is their duty to share criticisms.  
What if we slowed down our critical thoughts and offered prayer instead?  Now I am fully aware that it takes some intentional effort to respond instead of react.  I find myself reacting more than I ever want to confess.

Slow down and be fully present.

I am amazed when I realize how many times I am not paying attention.  I am physically there but not fully present.  Sometimes it is because I am so easily distracted.  Sometimes I fail to stop thinking long enough to be fully present.  Other times I am just tired.
Being fully present means giving your entire attention to the precious now.  It is really what we have. Yesterday is behind us.  Tomorrow may never come.  NOW is what we have.  And it will pass so quickly.

Slow down and rest.

When I was chaplain at Centenary College the number one enemy of young adults was sleep deprivation.  Students just kept going and going until they crashed.  Today our calendars are for the most part too full.  Young families are trying to let their kids do everything.

The body and the Spirit need to rest.  Jesus when confronted with the crowds would withdraw to pray and rest.    He knew this was necessary for what was ahead.

Maybe we need to realize when we are in the zone in our life's travels.  Slowing down does not make you a weaker person.  It does not mean you are lazy. It means that you have begun to sort out what is important in life.  You have come to understand what gives life versus what takes away life.

You only get one life.  There are no replays.  Play the one well!

Pray for me as I pray for you.

In the Master's Name,

Dr. M. Jack O'Dell
Retired.

www.midweekmanna.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment