Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Are You Making a List?

Are you a list person?

A list person is one of those folks that either has a  really bad memory, is overwhelmed, or needs to feel a sense of accomplishment.  Some list people are just easily distracted.  Or maybe you are a combination of all these!?!   

I never liked the image of Santa Claus.  He did not seem to me to be someone who I would want to chum up to.  It seemed to me as though he is painted as the critical parent.  Now if you are nice, I will reward you.  If you are naughty, I will call up my friend who some know as the God of the Old Testament and he will deal with you.  I always thought the God of the Old Testament label gave God a bad rap as well.  Neither one of these made me want to crawl up in their lap and say anything.  I guess I always knew how naughty I had been!

I have been on many lists.  I am afraid I may have been or still remain on lists that may not be a  good ones.  I am the preacher who ________ (you fill in the blank!)   I have always thought the role of the Gospel is to comfort those who need comfort and to make uncomfortable those who have become too comfortable in their living.  There is an unrestfulness about life when Jesus comes in fully.   Now do not confuse unrestfulness with the lack of assurance.  It is the assurance (Blessed!) that allows us to live in the unrestfulness.

So who or what is on your list?

Maybe your list should have some people or events that you need to forgive?  There is a much pain in the season because of our inability to forgive.  The memory gets in our way.  Or I called it "the Old Brain" (thank you Harvel Hendrix).  The "old brain" remembers every time and every person who ever hurt you.  It has no time mechanism so that the hurt seems to be in the now.    But it is not.  Without forgiveness you find it difficult to buy someone a present or sing "Joy to the World" to them.  You inwardly (and maybe outwardly) wish them little or no joy.  Certainly they deserve no peace.   What dead dog do you keep walking?  Dragging it along the sidewalk.  Probably stopping at every fire hydrant too!  

Make a list of those whom you need to forgive.  Wish them well.  Let go of it!  Close the open wound.

Maybe you need to make a list of people who need simple gifts.

Simple gifts are gifts of time.  It is a letter of encouragement.  It is a phone call  It is a "let's go out and eat!"  Simple gifts are kind words to a family member who has had a rough day.  Simple gifts are like the ornaments that you put on your tree that children and grandchildren made.    Rarely are they bought.  Simple gifts are made.  Simple gifts are even random acts of kindness.  Random words of kindness that overflow in your day.  

Maybe your list should be about you?

Sounds selfish but it is not.  Maybe you should create a list of things you want to change in your life.  Maybe it is a "bucket list" not of extravagance but of meaningful things that need to be done.  Do you realize that life is short?  Begin a daily conversation with God about this list.  Ask for God to help you with this list.   Change your calendar and thoughts about this list.  You may find Christ will be born anew in ways you never dreamed if you take this list seriously.

Make a list.  Check it twice.  Nah, don't buy into the naughty and nice.  Life is hard enough.  Grace is so much better than Santa ever dreamed.

Pray for me as I pray for you.

In the Master's Name,

Dr. M. Jack O'Dell

www.midweekmanna.com
www.stlukesimpson.org
 

No comments:

Post a Comment