Thursday, September 18, 2014

Get in the Game!

So it is fantasy football time.  For those who do not know it is a computer league that enables you to pick professional players/teams and compete against one another.  It has become an alternative world for some.  I have to admit that it is a great place to have some "friendly" competition.

You have to draft your team.

You pick your team based upon their abilities and effectiveness.

United Methodist churches are in the process now of drafting their teams.  It is amazing to me how many of our leaders do not make themselves available.  I hear the whole gamut of responses.  "I do not have time."  "I have already done that."  I am always urging people in the church to realize that God needs the best to step forward and say "Here Am I!"  Surely the body of Christ deserves your attention and time!

You draft according to abilities and effectiveness.

There are some who really should not attempt to sing in the choir.  Likewise there are some who should not be in charge of some areas.  They are better following than leading.  Then there are others who need to be working with children or youth.  

I have tried to urge all to run to their passion.  I believe that if all would work diligently in their ministry of passion that the work of the church would be done effectively and adequately.    Now some will say "I don't know my passion!"  To those I would encourage looking at some of the tests that are online for gifts of the Spirit.  I would urge them to have a serious conversation with their pastor or mentor.  You can discover what has given you great energy in ministry.  Then jump in!

Each team/player has a bye week.

Everyone needs a break for a short while.   Give yourself time to rest.  But notice that it is only for a short while.  It is not a disconnect.  Rest is a good thing.

There are times when I spend a few days away and rest.  It is hard to "unplug" as a pastor.  But the truth is that I am a better pastor if I take good care of myself.  Work hard!  Play hard!  

The season is on!   Enjoy!  Have fun!  Get in the game!    The faith is not a spectator sport.

Pray for me as I pray for you.

In the Master's Name,

Dr. M. Jack O'Dell

www.midweekmanna.com
www.stlukesimpson.org

No comments:

Post a Comment