Thursday, January 16, 2014

Giving Voice

Each morning I listen to a Podcast that is produced by the British Jesuits (Pray as You Go).  It is a very traditional devotion.  It begins usually with a monastic chant.  Don't you love to hear the monastic voices sing!  First of all they are singing in a cathedral where sound just oozes.  Then it seems that all of the monks have beautiful voices.  I am wondering what they do with all those who cannot sing?   It is a great way to start the day along with other prayers and scriptures that I read.

In past months, there has been a female British voice that began the podcast.  This week the voice has changed.  There is a male voice that almost has a gruff whisper in it.  At first, I was just taken back by the change.  "Wait!  That is not the usual voice I am used to hearing!"  I even checked to see if some foreign podcast had invaded my space.  At each day has passed, I must admit I enjoy hearing both voices in their uniqueness.

What would that look like in our everyday world--to enjoy hearing the different voices in their uniqueness?   Usually when we hear something different one reacts to the voice.  Some have the hair stand up on our necks.  Some will not listen.  Some become intrigued.  Others welcome the new voice.   But to celebrate the uniqueness is still the call before us.

I think Jesus was intrigued by each person's uniqueness.  He would look at each person with compassion and sometimes pity.   He listened to their stories.  Jesus dared to feel their pain.  Jesus saw that the image of God was deep within the soul of each person.  Sometimes it was in poor shape as the world had trampled upon it.  At other times the person had lost sight of their uniqueness and had become something quite different than what God intended.

I would invite you to give voice to the uniqueness that God has given to you.  I heard it put this way the other day by someone--"Be yourself--everyone else is taken!"    And then the next question is what have you been called to do in the kingdom of God that is uniquely yours?  In other words, it won't get done unless you do it!  God is counting on you!

Give voice.  Hear the voices around you with an intrigue for the holy.

Pray for me as I pray for you.

Dr. M. Jack O'Dell

www.stlukesimpson.org
www.midweekmanna.com

No comments:

Post a Comment