Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Open The Doors!


There are twenty three doors in my house.
Only three open to the outside—four if the garage door is up. Eleven of them are to storage or closet space.
Doors are interesting in some respects. When a door will not close, it stays a door even though it has lost its primary function. Door that will not open are really a pain. Weather can do strange things to a door.
I always love the sign on hospital doors, the one that says, "This door must remain closed at all times." So how does one get out? But it is still a door.
On a mission adventure in Jamaica, our team installed doors. My expert carpenter when he learned that we were going to do this asked what else we were going to do. He envisioned this being done in a day or two. When I told him we would have to cut the doors to fit the opening, He packed a table saw in his suitcase thinking it would be easier. He did not realize that we would only have electricity for about an hour a day. Neither did he realize that all the doors would be 38 inch doors and the openings would range from 33 to 34 inches (never square or consistent). It took us a week but we got them hung.
In this world, there are people who open doors and others who slam them shut. There are times that the only way you can get in a door is when someone else opens it for you.
Who opened the door for you to Jesus?
My family life was an open door to Jesus when I was growing up. Then there were places and events that opened another door and then another. Buster Carlisle was one of the youth directors in my early life that opened the Jesus door to mission. It changed my life. Dr. Webb Pomeroy opened the door to expanding my critical thought about God when I was in college. That door has helped me answer many questions in my life journey. Henry Blount and Kenneth Shamblin opened the door of practical ministry in my formative years of pastoral ministry. They showed me how to be a pastor. I would not be who I am today without the many who opened doors for me.
Who are you holding the door open for?
We are doorkeepers in the house of the Lord (Psalm 84). Justifying grace, that time when the love of God becomes intensely personal, has been described as the door to the faith. Prevenient grace is the porch. Then God invites you into a more personal understanding of God's love. Most of the time, someone is holding the door open for you. Are you an open door keeper?
What doors are you slamming shut?  
We do with with our judgments, our harsh words, and our unwillingness to see children of God in our world.  Some are quite content to keep most of their world confined to storage and closets.  Maybe we need to think about less doors for this.  Maybe the number of internal doors in our physical world has affected our ability to open ourselves in the world of relations.
How many doors are in your place? How many are open? Where is God inviting you to open doors? Where is God urging you to go through a door?
Pray for me as I pray for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment