Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Say “Yes” When God Calls

It doesn't seem like it was that long ago in some ways. In other ways, it seems like a marathon.

While serving as Chaplain of Centenary College, I was given a rare opportunity to spend many hours listening to students talk about life. I learned much about how different the world is today. On more than one occasion a student would sit down and visit with me about their majors. They would be struggling with the question of what they would do for the rest of their life. Strange as it may sound, each one of them thought that this was a question unique to them. It seemed as though everyone else had this compass that gave great surety which they did not have. It was at this point that I was able to give some perspective about the change in our world. In our world today, it is not unusual for persons to change jobs and even change careers. I assured them that God would direct their ways if they would be open to God's calling.

So how do you know when God is calling?

Sometimes God's calling is just trial and error. Now I know that is not what many want to hear. There is too much at stake. Peter, the disciple whom Jesus called "The Rock" learned much by trial and error. Remember at one point, Jesus even called him "Satan". I guess Rocky knew that he had messed up then! But through it all Peter slowly gained the vision of his future with God.

Timothy was given the gift of a faith compass through his mother and grandmother. Timothy came to know the direction of faith because he saw it lived out in those who nurtured him. For him, many questions were answered by asking the question, "What would my grandmother do or say in this situation?" Grand examples of faith before our eyes are great examples for us to discern God's calling.

Paul said "Yes" to God's calling through a dramatic vision or episode in life. His name was Saul. He was on his way to kill more of those heathen traitors. On the road, God meets him in a dramatic fashion—blinding him for three days. Even after this event, he is given counsel by Ananias. From the combination of these events, a new man was born. Paul wrote two thirds of the New Testament!

It is all about saying "Yes!" when God calls.

Thirty seven years ago this month, Ed Thomas called me. He had been my pastor in Minden First Church. He was now the district superintendent of the Ruston District. I had no idea why he wanted to meet with me. It was there that God invited me to begin a journey. He had two little churches that needed a pastor. Another church close to these churches needed a youth director. He asked me if I would consider serving. After much prayer and counsel, I said "yes'. I was nineteen years old at the time. Over the years to follow, Ed Thomas would continue to give me wise counsel on the journey. When I am confronted with some decisions in ministry, I often ask the question, "What do I think Ed would tell me to do?" The memory of his faithful ministry still speaks loudly to me.

The journey of ministry has led me to many places and people. There have been many good days and many difficult days. I have been blessed by many. I have been cursed by some. I have seen wonderful births and said words of eternal hope in the midst of death and loss. I look forward to the days ahead doing what God would have me do. I am still listening for God's call. I pray that I will continue to say "Yes!"

Say "Yes" when God calls!

Pray for me as I pray for you.

In the Master's Name,

Jack O'Dell

Lead Pastor, The Well UMC

No comments:

Post a Comment