Tuesday, March 27, 2012

You Are The One!


In the Gospel of John, there is an interesting passage where the Greeks come seeking Jesus. They approach the disciple Philip and say, "Sir We would like to see Jesus." So Philip goes to Andrew. Andrew then goes to John. Then apparently Jesus speaks to the Greeks. Some scholars insist this progression of persons is a way in which the Gospel writer elevates the importance of John. John's Gospel is in a sense given authority by showing John's closeness to Jesus. The early Christians needed to know that the gospel story is told by someone who is really close to Jesus, not just an acquaintance. I want to invite you to see this passage in another light.
If a friend came to you and said, "I want to see Jesus!" or even better "I need to see Jesus!" would you have to go get someone else? And would the person that you went to, would they have to go get someone else?
Recently I was in a store needing what is known at customer assistance. I cannot remember the particulars but I remember the process all too well. I started out with the guy on the floor. He informed me that he was going to have to go get someone else. So I waited and waited. Finally he passed by again and I asked, "What about the person you told me to wait for to help me?" He looked at me and then remembered. "Wait, I will go get them." So I waited.
So the second person comes to me and I tell this person the particulars. "Wait right here, I'll be back." She lied. She fell into that black hole of abyss. I am sure that there is some black hole in life where all those folks who are coming to help or serve you just can't get out of. There are times when I arrive at a restaurant and want to warn my server of this hole. So I waited.
The original person wanders by—and I mean wanders. So I give him another shot. "Can you help me find someone who can help me?" He said that three word sentence that started with a four letter word, "Wait right here." Isn't it interesting that people do not notice that you have not moved? So I wait. No, to be honest, I waited for a bit longer then I wandered.
I wander up to the place where it looks like people of authority would hang out. There I ask for the manager who happens to be the one I ask. As I tell him of my last forty five minutes of waiting it becomes apparent to me that he is not really interested in my story or in my dilemma. I come to the conclusion that the service style of this particular establishment is a learned behavior from the top down. I leave the store disappointed and have not returned to that place again. I probably will never find enough reason to go back.
I wonder if this is the experience many have in their search for Jesus. Persons earnestly seeking the presence of a living relationship with God ask someone who seems to know Jesus. Then instead of earnestly sharing the gospel for one reason or another, we pass. You need someone else to share. Wait. Let me go get a preacher or someone with more knowledge or experience.
Listen to these very important words---You are the one! God has placed you in this person's life to share the good news. Prepare yourself for the moment. When the moment comes, give them Jesus. Let them see Jesus in your words and your life. You are the one.
There is a story of a man who is somewhere between life and death. He gets the opportunity for a heavenly discussion. "What is your plan to reach my dear friend with the Gospel?" God answers, "You are my plan! I have destined you to share the good news." Fearful of his humanity and limitations, he asks, "and if I fail what is your plan then." And the answer given is "You are my only plan!"
You are the one whom God has destined for some to see Jesus!
Pray for me as I pray for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment