Thursday, February 2, 2012

And a Child Shall Lead Them

Children have the ability to teach adults more than we want to learn.

For example, my son as a six year old taught me a prayer that I continue to pray daily.  "Put me on your path and no one else's."   A daughter taught her dad about value when the dad was going to pay for her meal as a child.  "Dad, I'm older than ten!"  Sometimes in an effort to save money, we spend more than we ever realize.
A teacher opened the car door for the little boy to get out as he arrived to school.  With a big smile on his face, he greeted his teacher.  "I've got the joy of Jesus!"  As the teacher laughed, she realized that she needed to hear those words on that particular day.  God was speaking to her through the words of a child.

I think Jesus knew that the innocence of children had a quality of teaching about the kingdom of God.  Jesus was always open to the presence of children.  One of my favorite times in morning worship is when the kids of my church come running up to me.  They may just want a hug.  Sometimes they have a story to tell me.  Sometimes they ask questions.  I wonder how some churches can sit week after week with no children present.
Recently a grandmother was cleaning out her treasures.  You know those treasures of life---cards, pictures, letters, etc.  Memories that fill our soul and give us strength on the long days of winter.  She ran across a little package.  In the package there were three toys.  There was a little ball that you would throw to play with your cat.  There was a horn with a cartoon character on it that fit on a small child's bike.  And there was a Lion king give away from MacDonalds.  The grandmother remembered the day she received these treasures.  A little boy heard that it was his grandmother's birthday.  The grandmother was not well at the time.  So the little boy went into his room and gathered a few of his treasures to give to his grandmother.  It was the best gift she received that year!
When God was deciding to hide the treasures of life that were going to be stumbled upon by his creation, God decided to package them in children.   Yes sometimes children overwhelm us with the responsibility of being a parent, a teacher, or a grandparent.   But then about the time our soul is weary and not at rest, what the prophet Isaiah said becomes quite evident.  "A child shall lead them...."
My prayer is that you let the children be children.  They have the unique ability to lead us where we never would ever dream of being.

No comments:

Post a Comment