Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Christmas is a time for broken hearts

There is a line in a song we sing that captures me more than I want to admit.  It says, "Break my heart for what breaks yours...." 

Think of all the broken hearts around us--families in distress, children who live in an unsafe environment, tragedies, and the list goes on.   Most of the time the only time many of us are affected by broken hearts is when it is someone near or dear to us.   All the other times, it is just life.  Life goes on.
There are times when I have a hard time sleeping.  I think I have the gene that keeps you awake (it was just discovered).  I fall asleep easily.  My wife, Mandy, is amazed at how quickly I can do this.  But staying asleep is another thing.  Usually about 3:30 or 4 a.m., I am up--not social, but up!  And usually this is the time of prayer that broken hearts captures me.
I find myself thinking about families that are struggling.  I find that God turns my heart towards the suffering of the world.  It is during this time that I do some writing about God's presence in life.  Sometimes I will write a prayer to a particular family or individual that I send to them for encouragement.   It is during this time that sometimes I am confronted with my own suffering--my own stuff.
Many mornings I will take the time to write an email to one of my grand kids--I have four.  I write them an individual letter.  In that letter, I try to share some nuggets of wisdom and faith.  I share stories of our family and faith.  It is a time that I am preparing my grandchildren to meet the brokenness of life that I am sure they will confront.  I close that letter with the affirmation of prayer and hope.  Then I attach a funny picture that unique to each grandchild.
Why do I do this?  It's my heart that is moved.  During this season of Advent, we begin to see the heart of God coming in flesh to humanity.  God speaks to the heart of Mary.  God speaks to the heart of Joseph.  God speaks to their hearts about the brokenness of the world--the needs of the world.
So my invitation to you is to let this season be about the birth of Christ in your heart.  Let this season move you to pray, share, and encourage those whose lives are filled with anxiety and pain.  Join me in early morning prayers or late evening prayers for peace.
 
And on Christmas eve, light will be born.  Hope will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment