Wednesday, October 19, 2011

As You Journey Enjoy the Journey!

Wednesday was a great day to fly. The skies were clear. From way up high in the sky you could see the ground below. There was not a cloud in the sky.


As I flew from Dallas to New Orleans, I looked out the window to see if I could tell where we were in the journey. It didn't take me long to see the Red River and recognize Shreveport where I had spent many days. From Shreveport, I was able to discern the Interstate 49 that paralleled the Red River. Natchitoches was easy to recognize from the air. I could see the airstrip where one Christmas Eve, a church member flew me to pick up my children.


It was not long before I knew that Alexandria would be able to be viewed. I knew the old Air Force base was now the airport. And, of course, I recognized the golf courses that were near it. From there, I began to look for the Mighty Mississippi River which would lead me to Baton Rouge. South of Baton Rouge I knew we would turn east towards New Orleans.


The plants below told me that we were almost to New Orleans. We would fly along the Mississippi, then over the city of New Orleans to make a final descent into the New Orleans airport from the east.


I thought about what this journey could teach me about a faith journey. Most people do not realize that Jesus stayed within a thirty mile circle around Jerusalem. As he traveled, he would meet the people that he had met before. Lazarus' house was one of his favorite places. I imagine that much like my airplane ride, he would take notice of familiar places remembering their significance in his life.


Sometimes great meaning comes as we make the journey. We need to take note of where we were as well as where we are heading. Sometimes we may find ourselves heading in the wrong direction. Sometimes we might miss some of the most significant places in our journey if we do not keep our bearings. And many times, we come to appreciate where we are by knowing where we have been.


When Moses leads the Israelites to the holy mountain where he would receive the Ten Commandments, he is in familiar territory. This is the region where he has been before. As he traveled, there is no doubt some familiar signs of his previous travels. And as he travels with new companions and new direction, his understanding of journey changes. God has given him new directions!


For Christians, the journey towards home--the heavenly prize--is as significant as the arrival.. Along the way, we come to appreciate those whom we have traveled with. Along the way we come to realize those who have given us direction. And when we are near home, we recognize it as our destination.


As you journey, enjoy the journey itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment