Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Pray for teachers!

School is starting again.


This time of the year is always a time of remembering for me. I try to remember all of my teachers in my education process. As I remember them, I try to think of how each one of them nurtured me at that particular point in my life.

Mrs. Saint was my second grade teacher. She seemed more like a grandmother than a school teacher to me. I guess it was because my grandparents lived so far away. She was near retirement and had gray hair. At the end of the year after teaching our class, she had more gray hairs. I remember her as being more strict than my first grade teacher, Mrs. Miller. But I never felt unaccepted. It was really the first time in my education that I was challenged.

Then I remember Miss Bullock. She gave me the gift that would change much of my life. In the seventh grade, we began reading with these machines that would flash the text at a speed that was set by the teacher. She noticed me one day distracted by the slowness of the machine. So she challenged me. She bet me that I could not retain enough knowledge of what I was reading if the machine was set at full speed. I took that challenge--and learned at a very young age how to read at about 1000 words per minute. Many days in seminary when I would finish reading, I would thank God for Miss Bullock.

In our school years, we build foundations for the rest of life. Learning is critical for successful and faithful living. Teachers play a critical role in that process. I want teachers in our area to know that I pray for them. I do not just think about them. I pray for them. Their job is a tough job. Teachers today have to cope with the dysfunction of families, the disappointments of student's life and carry on their own life as well.


As a community, our task is to work with teachers for the education of our children. Encourage the children in your world. Ask the young people in your world how school is going. Encourage them to do well. Teach them by words and by your actions to respect teachers. Write an encouraging word to teachers you know. Bake some goodies and take to the teacher's lounge as an appreciation for their work.


A teacher sat down at the end of the day with a friend. There were tears in her eyes. Her own life was overwhelming. She had seen during this day the worst of families and the worst of students. Her friend brought her coffee and sat with her. "Why do you teach?"


The teacher lifted her head and said, "Sometimes I wonder myself. But then I hear this voice that seems to be God saying to me this is how I can make a difference in this world!"


As they sat in the coffee shop, it wasn't long before a man walked over to their table. "Aren't you Miss so and so who teaches at ..... "


"Yes, I am." she answered.


"You probably do not remember me but my son was in your class three years ago. He is doing so good in school now. You would not believe how his life has changed. It started with you being his teacher. I just want you to know how much I appreciate you! You changed his life!" And with that he walked away.


It was a God moment for all of them. Pray for our teachers. Appreciate them. If you are a teacher, listen for the small voice that seems to be God saying you can make a difference in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment