Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Be a Part of The Answer!

Everyone once in a while I hear laughter from the heavens.

If you want a fast start, plug in a bunch of college kids who know a little bit about what they are doing.



We hosted a supper for the group of college kids from the Neuman Center of Sacramento University. They were here to work on the house that is being built in memory of my friend, Joe Monistere. It is a project of the Fuller Center for Housing/Habitat organization. Within four days, the house was almost closed in. The windows and doors were not up yet. What an amazing feat for twenty college kids and some locals thrown in!




One Saturday a month, we have made the commitment to work. We want to be part of the answer to the area's needs! I believe most of our society's problems really have an easier solution if folks would just give their hands and hearts outward.




"Look out! He's got a saw!!" These are the words of my friends. The man who gave it to me had no idea the risk he was creating.




Yes, they know that I am dangerous with tools. I am one of those who is book smart and tool dangerous. My dad would be working on projects and give me something to do far away from him. It was for his own protection.




But I follow directions well. The saw given to me had the blade in backwards (which I did not put in) but it worked. I had been working for a while when one guy tried to tell me to turn the saw around until he too realized the blade was backwards. He then just told me to go ahead. I heard him laugh as he walked away as well.




So I sawed the door openings in the new house. I bothered no one. I got the job done until I had to leave for a funeral. But I was amazed that this group of folks could come together over the next few months and build house for a family. It just takes some coordination along with hearts and hands.




This is the answer to our society's problems. Whether it is housing, education, food, or anything else, our problems can be answered by turning to each other with compassion. Even the dangerous ones like me can help! You can help. Plug in somewhere. Once a month or even more if you are able and willing.




And you too can hear laughter from heaven. I know Joe chuckled as I left that worksite. Everyone else just had a sigh of relief!


No comments:

Post a Comment