Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Do the Right Thing

Miss Peggy was pretty plain spoken. She was from Kansas--a farm girl. She also did not like change very much. When someone would change something in the church, she would say, "We are Methodists! Things are not supposed to change! These words would likely be accompanied by her classic headthrow. You have seen it--when someone in total disgust throws their head back. Then came the classic eyes roll. It is when the eyes look up the sky with the "Why, O Why? Lord" look.
As pastor of her church I came to appreciate her in so many ways. Peggy kept the membership rolls of the church. She knew most of what needed to be known about a family and then some. Peggy also loved the UMW--the women's group. It provided her mission and friendship. There is not much she would not do for her mission group and her friends.
As membership secretary, she sat in our staff meeting. Peggy was unpaid staff. She would listen to the changes that were being initiated, throw her head back, roll her eyes, and proceed to make sure everyone knew her position on the matter. There were times when I would look at her and simply say, "Now come on Miss Peggy! Quit holding back. Tell us how you really feel!" Peggy would smile. She could take a joke even if it was on her.
There was a particular time in the church where there were several folks upset with me. I am sure this never happens in your church. However, it happened in this one that I served. The small group of folks was making my life miserable. I shared my pain with the staff. After the meeting everyone left except Miss Peggy. She waited until it was just the two of us. Then she said, "Jack, you are a gifted preacher with great passion about what you believe God is leading you to do in this church. Do the right thing as God has put in your heart. Just do the right thing and let the chips fall where they may!"
I thanked Miss Peggy. Before we could leave the room she added, "And I ain't talkin' about no poker chips either! Remember I am a farm girl from Kansas!" And with that, we both laughed for a long time.
I preached Miss Peggy's funeral this week. As I remembered this story and others in her life, I came to realize the gift people like Miss Peggy give to my world. I do not think she ever knew how important her words, "Do The Right Thing!" were to me on that day.
Maybe someone in your world today needs to hear the words, "Do the Right Thing!" Don't forget the headthrow and the roll of the eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment