Wednesday, November 10, 2010

What Makes God Strong Makes Us Strong

There is a passage in the book of First Chronicles that fascinates me. In the sixteenth chapter, verse eleven talks about the role of study in the life of faith. The passage says to "study God and God's strength" (The Message)

What makes God strong?

As aa little boy, I would look at all the pictures of the guys with great strength. I think all guys at one time or another dream of looking like that. Some even fulfill the dream; However not without much work and discipline.

I remember starting out to exercise. I was really great the first couple of days. Then slowly but surely, I gave up. Or did I just forget? Or did I wake up from the dream.

One thing is for sure, I did no research on what made guys look like that.

So what makes God strong? It is in the character of God to be of great strength. Character is what separates the strong. Unlike humanity, God's character has always been. God did not have to work at it. God is what God is--or as God told Moses--I am who I am.

So what is this about studying God? How is that supposed to strengthen us?

Once we examine the character of God, we discover that we have the capability of God character. You see, we are made in the "image of God". We are beings that can be transformed by a living relationship with God. In studying God, we find ourselves. We discover whose we are and who we are not.

Once we are found by God, then God strength is at our disposal. The saying is clear: God never gives us more than we can handle---with God's help.

So on the days that you feel not so strong---study God and God's strength. Then seek God and be found! You will be amazed at what God can do through you.

No comments:

Post a Comment